The process is quite simple as you simply add essential oils to a hot bowl of water. The hot water vapor then carries the essential oils deep into the sinuses, nasal passages, and lungs.
- Tea Kettle or Pot (for boiling water)
- Large Bowl
- Essential Oils
- Large Towel
- Tissues/Handkerchief (optional) – nice to have nearby as needed
Some of my favorite essential oils:
- Holy Basil
- Tea Tree
- Pour hot water (boiling preferred) into a large bowl.
- Add 5-10 drops of essential oil that you have selected to a bowl of water.
- Place your head 6-12 inches above the bowl and cover your head with a towel so the sides are totally closed and you form a tent over the bowl.
- Keep your eyes shut and breathe deeply in/out through your nose for 3-5 minutes.
- If you feel the treatment is too intense, raise the towel so fresh air is brought into the area. Breathe through your mouth a couple of times and then resume treatment. Should you at any time feel uncomfortable discontinue the treatment. You can also try using less drops of the essential oils.
- Caution: When using this treatment with children or elderly people make sure they do not burn their hands or face by getting too close to the bowl.